Article by: Charles M. |
Last Modified: 2016-03-05 10:57:58
Downloading drivers from hp.com with FTP Client - FileZilla
FileZilla is a well supported open source software, which is available free of charge under the terms of the GNU General Public License. In easy-to-understand-terms, its free as in beer!
Support is available in public forums and wiki from its official website: http://filezilla-project.org. For some reasons, one may wish to download files, especially large ones, using FTP clients.
To achieve this, one requires FTP client software. When you visit http://filezilla-project.org, you will find two versions, a client version and a server version. Download the
Client version and install it .
Downloading driver from hp.com
These instructions assume you are using:
- Firefox browser
- Windows 7 (although windows XP and Vista works well)
- Lets assume you want to download a driver. Search for it in http://support.hp.com following the instructions from the site.
- Once you have selected the correct file to download, proceed! Firefox will start downloading.
- Stop the download and press CTRL + J to show download list in Firefox.Right click and copy the download URL as shown below:
- Lets assume you want to download the URL "ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software11/COL12216/ja-35999-20/upd-5101-pcl5_winxp-vista.exe" using our FTP client.
- Launch FileZilla FTP Client and paste the entire url in the field labelled "Host:" - I know some one will say that it requires host name only - thats right - if you are lazy like me, just paste and Filezilla will sort itself out!
FileZilla will attempt to navigate through to the file but will encounter an error in the end. Don't worry about that.
- Locate "Remote site:" drop down list and paste the path to file excluding the hostname and the filename. In our example, you will paste "/pub/softlib/software11/COL12216/ja-35999-20/ :
- Fine the file you wish to download and drag it to you desktop! in my case "upd-5101-pcl5_winxp-vista.exe" and watch it download !
That was easy!?
There are many other FTP clients out there that can work as well but my all time favourite is Filezilla - and its free!
[2010-08-30] Jeff says:
I followed your instructions and worked.
[2012-02-04] c bvnbv says:
its good service
Post your Comments